Sunday, February 12, 2012

Slow Week of Taking

I have been very fortunate this year. My business has been booming and I have worked nearly non stop...even through Superbowl weekend.  I am working 6-7 days a week right now so it makes it really hard to do any serious taking. Or much giving for that matter.

This particular week was kind of crummy so I decided that I would find a charity of some kind that I found amusing and donate to it.  Here are a few of the ones that made the Final 4 list for me this week:

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Pastafarianism): By design, the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma. That is, there are no strict rules and regulations, there are no rote rituals and prayers and other nonsense. Every member has a say in what this church is and what it becomes.  To outsiders it makes us hard to define, but here are some general things that can be said about our beliefs:
  • We believe pirates, the original Pastafarians, were peaceful explorers and it was due to Christian misinformation that they have an image of outcast criminals today.
  • We are fond of beer
  • Every Friday is a Religious Holiday
  • We do not take ourselves too seriously
  • We embrace contradictions (though in that we are hardly unique)

The James Randi Educational Foundation. "The James Randi Educational Foundation was founded in 1996 to help people defend themselves from paranormal and pseudoscientific claims. The JREF offers a still-unclaimed million-dollar reward for anyone who can produce evidence of paranormal abilities under controlled conditions."

The South Yorkshire Gerbil Rescue Organization.  "We are a home based non-profit rescue/rehome organisation that exists solely to help out gerbils that are in situations where their owners are unable to care for them any longer. We will happily take in gerbils from anywhere in the South Yorkshire area. We will give them a comfortable place to stay until we can find them a suitable place to live."  (Given that gerbils have a lifespan of about a year this seems like a bit of a waste of time but who am I to judge gerbil-lovers.)

The Lemming Rescue and Rehabilitation Society.  Dedicated to saving sweet fluffy innocent lemmings the world over from great biological tragedy.  From their Facebook page (which only had 18 "likes" until I decided to "like" it too:
The Lemming Rescue and Rehabilitation Society sponsors an annual suicide intervention program using state-of-the-art rescue equipment. The LRRS also believes that suicidal tendencies in rodents can be treated with pschological counseling. The Society also firmly believes that population explosions can be prevented with reproductive counseling. Finally, we have an extensive program of cliff demolition. Cliffs CAN be made safer!

I chose the James Randi foundation to receive my gigantic donation of $10 but each of these others will receive a donation from me sometime this year. I am pretty sure the Lemming Rescue is a joke but I am willing to give them a few bucks just because it's so damn funny and I wish I would have thought of it.

Wish me a better week of taking this upcoming week. I am having lunch with my friend Danielle, taking the dogs to the groomer, having dinner with Stephanie, and lunch with a business colleague so there should be some pretty good "taking" opportunities this week. Oh yeah, and I am "taking" my husband's evening tonight because, guess what? He is making fried chicken and macaroni and cheese for me again tonight! Score!

PS: If you want to read about a more serious charitable contribution check out what Stephanie did for Filanthropy Friday this week over on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment