Sunday, February 5, 2012

Worst. Week. Of Taking. Ever.

Well its been a bad week for taking.  I did more giving than taking this week and that goes against the whole Year of Taking(tm) concept.  I feel like I am going to confession or something as I admit all the giving I did this week:

I gave $50 to Planned Parenthood. I was spurred to action because of the big scandal/controversy over the Susan G. Komen Foundation (I don't like the Komen Foundation anyway because they spend $1 million per year suing little 5Ks around the country who have the nerve to say their race to benefit breast cancer research is, "for the cure"...like Komen owns those 3 little words or something. Punks.) pulling a big grant that they had been giving to PP.  Whatever you think about PP they offer low cost health care to women who need it and that is a great thing.

I gave $25 to the University of Chicago. I don't feel so bad about this one because they lured me in by offering me a set of U of C playing cards if I gave them $25. So really I am taking some playing cards which I am sure will be really ugly because while U of C is a great school their general design scheme on things like T-shirts and coffee cups is pretty bad.  I think the cards have gargoyles on them which has "regift" written all over it for me...I wonder who the lucky recipient of this little regift will be? Could be Stephanie, Melia, Amy, Alisha, Susan, Julie, Cindy, or Aruni...hard to say which of my lucky friends will get this awesome gift from me for Christmas.

I became an ASPCA Guardian and pledged to give $20 per month indefinitely to the ASPCA.  And I don't even get anything back. Actually I think they gave me a discount at the ASPCA store but I didn't get to "take" anything meaningful at all.

As you can see, in terms of pure "taking" this was a crappy week. Sigh.

So, last night I had to do a little taking. When Jonathan's and my friend Matt Naylor came over to our house to continue his day-long birthday celebration with Jonathan I knew I had to find a way to take something. So I took Matt's patience and happiness by refusing to turn the TV Channel away from the movie, "GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra" which Matt calls, "the worst movie ever. It's just plain bad. There is nothing good about it. It sucks the light out of the world" - G.M. Naylor.  

I felt really good about making him watch GI Joe because I knew what it was taking out of him to be in the same room as a movie he hates so much. Eventually he curled up into a little ball on the floor and cried.  I thought he was really that upset but it turns out it was just a trick to get me to put the remote control down so he could get it and change the channel.  The joke was on me because he and Jonathan wouldn't give me back the remote and I had to watch that "reality" show Gold Rush which features a bunch of really dirty guys who try unsuccessfully every day of their lives to find gold.  They should call that show "An Exercise in Futility, Redneck Style".

Today I am going to find something to take even if it kills me.  It's Superbowl Sunday so that presents some interesting opportunities. For one thing there is a Law & Order marathon on TNT all day so I could just take the TV and refuse to let my husband watch the Superbowl. But that is kind of stupid because we have like 5 TVs in our house.  I will have to think of something because this week I am very dispirited by my lack of taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment