Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Year of Taking - Week 1

Last year, my best friend Stephanie came up with the idea of making small charitable donations to a different charity every week. Her original idea was to skip going out to lunch one day and donate the amount of lunch $5 - $15 to a nonprofit.  Great idea and we had a great time coming up with worthy causes. For example, we donated to:

The World Wildlife Fund
The American Red Cross
Bare Necessities
Ronald McDonald Childrens Home
Homes for Our Troops
Breast Cancer Resource Center of Austin
The Rose (Houston, TX)
Wild Mustang Rescue
Cavalier King Charles Rescue

In fact, I can't even remember all the charities we donated to.  My favorite was a little guinea pig rescue group in Maine or New Hampshire. I guess I am going to have to go through all those receipts and organize them for my accountant soon.

Anyway, the point is that 2011 was the year of giving.  And to what end? Did we save the world? Clearly not. Did I save that cute Arctic Fox I saw on the WWF website? (what a rip off that was! I thought I was adopting the fox but it never showed up at my house) What about all those HIV infected babies in Africa? No idea what happened to our money or if it made a difference.

So this year, 2012, is going to be completely different.  I declare 2012 The Year of Taking!  This year instead of trying to save the world I am going to enrich myself by taking (or getting someone to give me) something every week.  Like tonight for example, when I told my husband about this blog he gave me a quarter to kick things off.  In addition to my .25 booty I also took two sets of chop sticks and two fortune cookies from the restaurant where I hatched the plan for this blog with Stephanie.

The Year of Taking has begun.

1 comment:

  1. It was a Darwin's Fox. Maybe that's why it didn't show up at your door . . .you couldn't get the name right.

    Can't wait to see all the things you take (or make people give you) this year!

    ReplyDelete